Thanks to The Oil Posse for this post! Visit their website for a free PDF download!
The Premium Oil Collection + Diffuser + Lifetime YL Membership & Extras
Premium Starter Kits are one of the BEST deals Young Living offers! Check out whats inside & head over to our "Best Deals From Young Living" page for more details!
We switched to Thieves a few years ago and we will never go back!
Here's my review of each product:
➵ Household Cleaner: Before that we were using what we thought was chemical free, until we started reading the warnings on the label! We used vinegar after that, and it didn't work super great & honestly I just wanted my house to smell GOOD... Thieves smells AMAZING & works better than anything. It is concentrated, so you just use a capful or two with 30 oz of water in a spray bottle. It's less than a dollar... that.is.cheap.
➵ Essential Oil: This is an oil I am never without. Immune System ✓ Upset Stomach✓ Headache✓ Sore throat✓ Canker Sores & Cold Sores✓ Diffuse to purify the air & make your home smell delish✓
➵ Toothpaste & Mouthwash: There is no better toothpaste. Nope. And the dentist approves & our mouths have never been healthier. I had to buy some natural toothpaste at the store when I accidentally ran out of Thieves Toothpaste & my teeth felt like they had fuzzy slippers on, even after I brushed... never again. The mouthwash is so concentrated you only need like a teensy bit with water... sometimes we use this instead of toothpaste if we run out... 'cuz I already told you why. :)
➵ Handsoap: I cant use hand soap usually... my hands break out and get raw and itchy... I have issues, yes (have you read my story?), but remember, our skin is our largest organ and we absorb EVERYTHING we put on it. This soap is gentle, yet kills all the bad stuff without wrecking your immune system. #AntibacterialisnotHealthy
➵ Thieves Spray: We use this to make clean the air in all the yucky stinky places... all of them. We also spray it on anything that is germy... hands, toilet seats, doorknobs, um... yeah, anywhere... Plus, it works for sore throat spray. So, there's that.
➵ Waterless Hand Purifier: Purifies hands without drying them out... oh yes, and there's no poison in it. It. Works. Our girls kept coming home with dried out cracked hands, we found out it is routine to squirt them with Purell all day long. So, now they pack this with them and their hands are all healthy & so are their immune systems.
So yep, that's why we love it. ♡
Just in case, do you know the story of Thieves? Thieves blend was inspired by the legend of the four 15th-century French thieves that were using a combination of clove, rosemary, and other botanicals to protect themselves from catching the plague while robbing the dead & dying.
So if it protected these dudes from getting the plague, just think what it can do for us!
Head over to your favorite Roots member page and order your Thieves Premium Kit & join our "Chemical Free Swap Out Challenge"!
Today we are going to learn how to make Zzz..Rub! It's very simple, doesn't take long at all and you will thank yourself for making it after waking up feeling refreshed the next day!
Please note: I only recommend using the highest quality oils on the market, which is why you'll only see references to Young Living in this post. Please visit Young Living for more information.
Coconut Oil 1/2 Cup
Shea Butter 1/2 Cup
Beeswax 1 Tbsp
Cedarwood Essential Oil 15 Drops
Orange Essential Oil 15 Drops
For Extra Zzz Rub add:
Valerian Essential Oil 5 Drops
Lavender EO - 5 Drops
Peace & Calming EO 3 Drops
Melt Beeswax, Shea Butter and Coconut oil in a double boiler (or a pot filled with water and a glass Pyrex measure cup). Once everything is melted together, remove from heat and let sit on counter for about 10 minutes. I don't like to heat my oils up so I let the mixture cool before I add them.
Add your oils, and stir well. The Valerian isn't the best smell so you made want to add a few more drops of your favorite to mask it. Once you have your finished product though the Valerian usually isn't too bad.
After your oils are added, place your bowl of melted rub into the fridge, it's best to put the mixture into a glass or metal bowl that you can use a mixer with.
Once your Zzz..Rub has a almost solid consistency, pull out of the fridge. You don't want it to be completely solid as it will be near impossible to mix. The middle can be pretty soft and it will still work just fine.
Use an egg beater or stand up mixer and beat until it forms peaks just as whip cream would.
Place product into a glass jar for storing, makes 4 oz.
You now have your Zzz Rub!
How to use: Since your feet have the most pores of any other part of your body, this is where I like to suggest you use it. Give your feet a generous rub down, climb in bed and start dreaming! If you find that it didn't work as well as you hoped, that's OK try again the next night and add a little more Zzz...Rub to your massage. The reason for this may be because your body isn't used to these oils and you need to build them up in your body before they will work to their fullest potential.
Young Living Member
Okay, I promised this post (along with a few others) quite some time ago... I figured THIS one, though, was the most important to get out there right now.
We all LOVE our kids, we strive to make the best decisions for them, to protect them, to provide the best we can for them. Yet, most likely, every day, multiple times a day, we are buckling them up improperly, possibly risking their lives. We tend to think of car seats more in regards to the law and less about the protection they are providing our kids... IF they are used properly. We don't want to think about getting into an accident, but we just cant be certain that we wont. So, lets all take precautions to at least improve the outcome, if possible... because in reality, every time we drive with our little ones, we are taking a risk. Personally, I just want to know that I did my best to keep my little ones safe... and I'm sure you do too!
The leading causes of injury-related death among children ages 14 and under are motor vehicle crashes, suffocation, drowning and fires and/or burns. "Our data revealed that parents and caregivers are making five critical, but fixable, mistakes when using car seats. This news is important because we know that correctly used child safety seats can reduce the risk of death by as much as 71 percent." -Safe Kids
Here are the top 5 things to do to check your car seat (You can download this list on Safekids.com, there is a link in this press release.):
If you would like to have help with your car seat, there are car seat clinics all over the U.S. to help you! Search for one in your area by clicking here! If you live in Bend, the Bend Fire Dept (1212 SW Simpson) is hosts carseat clinics. I believe they host these clinics on the fourth Wednesday of every month... contact them, just to be sure.
What's Going On? Baby products should be safe, not Toxic!*
So you've heard all this hype about chemicals in your bath and beauty products, it's caught your attention... but seriously, could it really be that bad? Yes my friends, it is...
What am I talking about here? People, this is serious! Did you know that only 11 percent of the ingredients in personal care products are tested for safety? How many products do you use in a day, a week, a year? How about your children? Toxic chemicals are hiding in your products, and accumulating in your body with each and every use! Sometimes these chemicals are not disclosed on product labels because they're contaminants, not ingredients, and therefore are exempt from labeling laws!
We're talking about carcinogens (proven cancer causing chemicals) in our babies shampoo, lead in our lipstick (they've taken it out of paint and put it in lipstick!? Hello??), and neurotoxins (chemicals that are toxic to the brain) in our fragrances... chemicals linked to cancer, birth defects and other health problems... and that's just scraping the surface!* (Read more about "Why This Matters" at http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/research/whythismatters.php)
This is not my opinion. The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics "is a coalition effort launched in 2004 to protect the health of consumers and workers by securing the corporate, regulatory and legislative reforms necessary to eliminate dangerous chemicals from cosmetics and personal care products".*
So, you're concerned, you want to rid yourself of these products, but you don't know where to start? Well, let me tell you that it takes a lot of time and effort to educate yourself on these issues. I have researched claims, products, companies, ingredients, and so on. I have spent hours upon hours deciding what absolutely needs to be avoided, what is safe, and what is hyped up. I have been able to find trustworthy companies with exceptional products to fit every budget. I would love to share what I know with you!
What to keep, what not to keep...
Look at the ingredients, my number one red flag is a list of things I cant pronounce. Take label warnings seriously, they indicate hazardous chemicals.
Top 10 Ingredients to Avoid (via Organic Consumers Association, Thanks OCA!)
1. Imidazolidinyl Urea and Diazolidinyl Urea — These are the most commonly used preservatives after the parabens. They are well established as a primary cause of contact dermatitis (American Academy of Dermatology). Two trade names for these chemicals are Germall II and Germall 115. Neither of the Germall chemicals have a good antifungal, and must be combined with other preservatives. Germall 115 releases formaldehyde at just over 10°. These chemicals are toxic.
2. Methyl and Propyl and Butyl and Ethyl Paraben — Used as inhibitors of microbial growth and to extend shelf life of products. Widely used even though they are known to be toxic. Have caused many allergic reactions and skin rashes. Methyl paraben combines benzoic acid with the methyl group of chemicals. Highly toxic.
3. Petrolatum — I see this on lip products from time to time, which is humorous to me because they're usually advertised as protecting the lips from sunburn, chapping and so forth. Petrolatum is mineral oil jelly, and mineral oil causes a lot of problems when used on the skin photosensitivity (i.e., promotes sun damage), and it tends to interfere with the body's own natural moisturizing mechanism, leading to dry skin and chapping. You are being sold a product that creates the very conditions it claims to alleviate. Manufacturers use petrolatum because it is unbelievably cheap.
4. Propylene Glycol — Ideally this is a vegetable glycerin mixed with grain alcohol, both of which are natural. Usually it is a synthetic petrochemical mix used as a humectant. Has been known to cause allergic and toxic reactions.
5. PVP/VA Copolymer — A petroleum-derived chemical used in hairsprays, wavesets and other cosmetics. It can be considered toxic, since particles may contribute to foreign bodies in the lungs of sensitive persons.
6. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate — This synthetic substance is used in shampoos for its detergent and foam-building abilities. It causes eye irritations, skin rashes, hair loss, scalp scurf similar to dandruff, and allergic reactions. It is frequently disguised in pseudo-natural cosmetics with the parenthetic explanation "comes from coconut."
7. Stearalkonium Chloride — A chemical used in hair conditioners and creams. Causes allergic reactions. Stearalkonium chloride was developed by the fabric industry as a fabric softener, and is a lot cheaper and easier to use in hair conditioning formulas than proteins or herbals, which do help hair health. Toxic.
8. Synthetic Colors — The synthetic colors used to supposedly make a cosmetic "pretty" should be avoided at all costs, along with hair dyes. They will be labeled as FD&C or D&C, followed by a color and a number. Example: FD&C Red No. 6 / D&C Green No. 6. Synthetic colors are believed to be cancer-causing agents. If a cosmetic contains them, don't use it.
9. Synthetic Fragrances — The synthetic fragrances used in cosmetics can have as many as 200 ingredients. There is no way to know what the chemicals are, since on the label it will simply say "Fragrance." Some of the problems caused by these chemicals are headaches, dizziness, rash, hyperpigmentation, violent coughing, vomiting, skin irritation by a cosmetic that has the word "Fragrance" on the ingredients label.
10. Triethanolamine — Often used in cosmetics to adjust the pH, and used with many fatty acids to convert acid to salt (stearate), which then becomes the base for a cleanser. TEA causes allergic reactions including eye problems, dryness of hair and skin, and could be toxic if absorbed into the body over a long period of time.
What? You cant pronounce those words? So, the easiest way to know whether or not a product is worthy enough to spend money on AND safely use is #1 Avoid scary chemicals, like "mercury" for example #2 If you cant pronounce it or dont know what the heck it is, there's a good chance you should avoid it! You may find some of your allergy issues will suddenly disappear if you discontinue using cosmetics formulated with petrochemicals and other synthetics.
So, that's not too hard to remember, right? Just avoid the above ingredients. Write them down or print them out. Look through all of your products, check the ingredient lists. When you go shopping bring your list (there really is a printable list at Skin Deep's website!) and read every label... I know, crazy right?! Well, that's just what I did.
When I started turning over products and reading labels, I ended up with an empty makeup bag, a bare bathroom, and a garbage bag full of products. Then I thought, shoot I have nothing left, and not enough money to buy more stuff. Well, most of the stores I buy from guarantee their products, so seeing as how I was not satisfied, I returned what I could. With a little help from "The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics", I included a letter to each of the companies, stating my dissatisfaction with their products. I also asked them to commit to manufacturing safer cosmetics. Let me just say that Victoria's Secret is the one of the number one companies and brands of concern on the Cosmetics Safety Database. They were my first stop.
(Want to check your favorite products or brands? Check out www.cosmeticsdatabase.com)
Just tell me what to buy...
Seriously, who has time to read labels? I really don't either! However, when something grabs my attention like this does, I simply cannot ignore it! I HAVE to find out more information, more FACTS! Then, I either dismiss it (if it's just a bunch of hype), or address it. I just have this "thing" (OCD maybe?)... I get passionate about something and it utterly consumes me! But hey, now all of you can benefit from my hours of research! You just want to grab it and go, right?! I've got oodles of recommendations for you, but let's just start with a few reputable companies (I know my list is not complete, I'll be adding more as they come to mind). I have tried or currently use products from the following companies. Want a recommendation for a particular item? Post a comment or send me a message!
Update: Many of the companies we used to recommend are selling out to large corporations, who are then reformulating the products... so you think you're getting your trusted chemical free product because the label looks the same & you had NO idea they were now owned by a different company and the product is NOT what you think it is! Ahhhh, so frustrating! So, we are updating our list & sadly, it is getting pretty short. If you've got any recommendations, let us know by filling out our "contact us" form!
Honestly, since we started researching Young Living, nothing else measures up to the quality & integrity! Essential oils are amazing! We love everything we have tried so far... toothpaste, supplements, Thieves products, essential oils, Ningxia Red...) More about them HERE!
Jane Iredale (Love her mascara!)
Shea Terra Organics (Such YUMMY shea butter products! LOVE them!)
Skin by Ann Webb (Love this skincare, I get mine on Amazon or Vitacost for less!)
Spry Dental (Tooth care products with xylitol)
Weleda (I have used their baby products for years, so gentle and smell yummy!)
So, now you're enlightened...
I know, I know, you're overwhelmed, right?! I was too at first, and the quote "ignorance is bliss"... no, no, don't think like that! You want to be informed, you want safe products, you and your precious family deserve the best! Don't waste your money on cheaply made products, full of toxic cancer causing chemicals! Hey, I'm going to make it easy for you to clean out your closet, er makeup bag! Your skin will feel better, look better, and you will BE healthier once you rid yourself of these toxins! Now go on, toss it out!
*This information is provided by the following:
The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics www.safecosmetics.org
Skin Deep's Cosmetics Safety Database www.cosmeticsdatabase.com
The Breast Cancer Fund www.breastcancerfund.org
Think Before You Pink (A project of Breast Cancer Action) http://thinkbeforeyoupink.org/
Environmental Working Group www.ewg.org
Organic Consumers Association http://www.organicconsumers.org/
Do you follow us? Find Roots of Integrity on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, & Pinterest!
Young Living's VALOR Essential Oil is a blend of Spruce, Rosewood, Blue Tansy, and Frankincense. Almond oil is in this blend as a carrier oil, so this is a ready to use, easy to apply essential oil blend. This blend is available in the 15mL size, along with another option, a 10mL Roll-On! Valor is an important piece of the Raindrop Therapy Collection.
Valor is nicknamed, "Chiropractor in a Bottle"! Valor helps to align the physical structure of the body, self-correcting it's balance and alignment, giving relief of pain! I apply Valor to my neck when it is out of alignment. As I rub this oil on my neck, it is common for me to hear it begin popping and cracking... followed by immediate pain relief! True story! Valor has helped to alleviate my symptoms and pain related to scoliosis. There are cases where it has improved scoliosis in as little as 30 minutes!
My husband has been having really intense back pain.. long story as to why, but he was hit by a car while biking years ago. BUT anyhoo.... he was in tons of pain yesterday, so what did I do? Yep, essential oils to the rescue! I put Valor right where the pain is and rubbed that in, followed with Deep Relief. About 3 minutes after I applied Valor, his legs stopped shaking and he was able to relax. He said he could totally tell that it was helping! I reapplied the oils before he went to bed, as he was in pain again. He fell asleep about 5 minutes after I started applying the oils. He now brings these two oils with him to work!
Here is a little info on each oil that is in the Valor blend:
SPRUCE (picea mariana) ~ Grounding, & balancing, Anti-infectious, anti-inflammitory, antispasmodic, cortisone-like, disinfectant, tonic.
Uses: Helps to dilate bronchials to improve oxygen exchange. Helps to release emotional blocks. Cleaning, cooling, hyperthyroidism, yoga, arthritis, candida, immune-depression, rheumatism, solar plexus, aching joints, bone pain, glandular system, stimulates the thymus and adrenal glands.
ROSEWOOD (Aniba rosaeodora) ~ Soothing to the skin, relaxing, pleasing to the mind... encourages feelings of peace and gentleness.
Uses: Acne, dermatitis & eczema, dry skin, wrinkles, antifungal, antibacterial, antiparasitic, antiviral, anti-infectious, vaginal infections, candida, depression, oral infections, cuts, nausea, tissue regeneration, wounds.
BLUE TANSY (Tanacetum annum) ~ Helps to cleanse the liver and calm the lymphatic system... helps rid oneself of anger and promotes self control.
Uses: Analgesic (pain relief), antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antihistamine, helps with low blood pressure, relieves itching, sedates nerves.
FRANKINCENSE (Boswellia Carterii) ~ Contains sesquiterpenes, which help oxygenate pineal & pituitary glands. Research has shown that sesquiterpenes have the ability to surpass the blood-brain barrier and enter the brain tissue!
Frankincense was used biblically, there are 52 references to frankincense in the Bible! (the word "incense" is translated from Hebrew/Greek referring to "frankincense" or a mixture of which it was one of the ingredients).
Uses: Helps with aging, arthritis, asthma, brain injuries, coma, depression, Lou Gehrig's Disease, mental fatigue, moles, M.S., Parkinsons Disease, tumors, ulcers, allergies, bites (insects & snakes), bronchitis, cancer, colds, coughs, diarrhea, diphtheria, gonorrhea, headaches, healing, hemorrhaging, herpes, high blood pressure, inflammation, jaundice, laryngitis, meningitis, nerve conditions, prostate, pneumonia, respiratory, prevents scarring, sciatic pain, sores, spiritual awareness (helpful to calm the mind when praying, reading, or meditating), staph, strep, stress, syphilis, T.B., tension, tonsillitis, typhoid, wounds, & even wrinkles & warts!
To apply Valor Essential Oil, put a few drops on the bottom of the feet. To relieve pain, also apply to areas affected. To relieve pain along the spine, apply to the bottoms of the feet and along the spine.
Valor Essential Oil is so helpful!
1. We use Valor instead of Tylenol, Ibuprofen, Bengay, Tylenol PM, and other OTC drugs for pain and sleeplessness!
2. Valor is so helpful for injuries! When our little ones get "owies", we apply Valor. Since it contains almond oil as a carrier oil, it does not sting when applied to even open wounds. My little ones ask for it when they get hurt... then they run off and continue playing!
3. Valor helps alleviate bruising too!
4. Valor relieves tension.
5. Valor is also good for our emotional and spiritual self, helps overcome fear (little ones afraid of anything? Valor & prayer work so well together ;)! Valor helps to build courage, confidence & self-esteem. It brings a feeling of calmness, peace, and relaxation.
6. Can be used in place of Peace & Calming Essential Oil for hyperactivity & ADD in children.
7. Valor can be used after any type of trauma to help realign and balance and even prevent shock!
8. Valor can have the effect of changing anaerobic mutated cells back to their normal state! Say what?! Seriously, God did a good thing when he made the plants!
9. Helps with problems related to muscles, bones, skin, the nervous system & emotional balance.
10. Valor is an important oil in the Raindrop Technique. If you haven't experienced this, you should!
11. Helps you cope in stressful or overwhelming situations... P.S. I have 5 kids and a husband... I love Valor! ;)
12. Valor can be used during pregnancy to relieve back pain. Oh how I could've used essential oils in pregnancy... I had yet to discover them... I missed out! If you are pregnant, dont miss out on essential oils! They can truly help you with nearly everything!
13. Did I say skin?! Valor feels so good on irritated skin!
14. We apply Valor before and after chiropractic adjustments... which we need less of because the Valor is our "Chiropractor in a Bottle"!
~And remember, ALL of my posts on essential oils ONLY apply to Young Living Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils. Young Living oils promote HEALTH... others just might smell pretty and give you a headache. Most Young Living Essential Oils can be used as dietary supplements, and have directions right on the label. Wouldn't it be great to be prescribed Young Living Essential oils instead of pharmaceuticals, and actually experience true healing? Well, we may not be able to get a prescription here in The States, but we can still take control of our health and use essential oils!
Why cant you just buy your essential oils at the grocery store? "Over 90% of what is sold in the United States as 'pure' essential oil is fragrance-grade and diluted. (The FDA has determined that a product need contain only 5% of the ingredient on the label in order to use the word pure.) These oils are found on the shelves of many health food stores and at online discount houses. They may be less expensive, but THEY WILL NOT BE USEFUL FOR HEALTH :( ." If you would like to learn more about Young Living Essential Oils, become a wholesale or retail customer, have questions, or need help using your YL Essential Oils, THIS is the website you need! Let me know if I can help you! ~ Lori References:
Essential Oils Desk Reference. Compiled by Essential Science Publishing.
Reference Guide for Essential Oils by Connie & Alan Higley
Gary D. Young N.D. An Introduction to Young Living Essential Oils.